Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Fear Factor

Yesterday while I was reading Harry Potter, Gavin was upstairs taking a nap. I was listening to him on the monitor and could hear the rhythmic hum of his swing (shame on me for letting him sleep in a swing). I was reading a particularly intense and scary part of the book when the swing upstairs stopped and I started hearing noises in the monitor. It sounded like Gavin was waking up but I was already tense from the book and I was sure that someone was up there ... why else had the swing stopped? So with much fear, but a drive to protect my child I grabbed a huge chef's knife and headed up stairs. As I walked up I was shaking with fear and opened the door to his room to find ... Gavin smiling up at me in glee. The battery was dead on the swing. I felt embarrassed about my knife and was glad that Gavin is not old enough to realize his mother is a lunatic. I think maybe I shouldn't read Harry Potter when I home alone!

3 comments:

Rin said...

That's so something I would do.

Sheri said...

Harry Potter was scary! And yes shame on you for letting Gavin sleep in a swing! :) Sometimes you just gotta do what you have to right? to stay sane! Let me know when you finish the book!
sheri

Rob Au said...

You are really cute, Allison! Better safe than sorry, though!