Thursday, June 21, 2007

Finding Joy in All Things

I want to start by saying that I am in no way trying to make light of a serious situation. I personally feel that when faced with trials in our lives we need to find what positive or funny moments we can to help us through. So with that being said here is my story:
Most of you know that my poppa has Parkinson's disease. Part of the condition is that he has trouble with falling. Yesterday my Nana was trying to find poppa to tell him breakfast was ready. She was looking all around and finally found him face down in the swimming pool. She jumped in and pulled him to the steps and tried to get his head above water. She then ran in to call 911. Luckily her neighbor heard her screaming and rushed over. He jumped into the pool in his suit and pulled him all the way out and began CPR. The paramedics came and took him to Stanford Hospital where he is currently being treated. His heart is working but he is unable to breathe on his own. At this point we really have no information on a prognosis for him. They cooled his body in hopes of decreasing swelling in his brain and hopefully preventing brain damage. So once they warm him back up and De-paralyze him we should know more.
So yesterday I took care of my sisters kids so she could go to the hospital and be with my Nana. I was explaining to the girls that poppa fell into the pool and that he got hurt so he is in the hospital. My sweet, sweet 5 year old niece Ellie said to me "He should have had floaties." It was so naive and innocent. It brought a big laugh for my Nana and everyone when I told them in the waiting room of the hospital. After she said that she explained all about pool safety to me. Children are so wonderful. They can bring happiness and lighten our hearts in our moments of deepest sadness. I thank Ellie for that tender comment that brought a smile to us all.

4 comments:

Sheri said...

Im so sorry Allison...its hard to see those we love not themselves...especially in the hospital setting. Wish there was something I can do. My thoughts are with you.
sheri

Annie said...

Oh my goodness! That is so scary. I will be praying for your family that all goes well with the recovery.
You are one great woman to see the humor in her comment about the floaties. I love the innocence of a child.

Rin said...

Wow, that is so cute that Ellie said that. I'm glad you all could find beauty/joy/laughter in that. I'm sorry about your grandpa! :(

The Au Family said...

Thats why we have kids, huh! They can always bring such joy to hard situations!